Ingredients



Transcript + link to an exercise:
Try thinking about every item you see and every act you do in terms of the raw ingredients that form them. Just as flour and baking soda go into cookies, so do wood and cotton go into chairs, and creativity and ink (and pixels) go into a logo.

Your work – my work – is a combination of a long list of raw ingredients. How we assemble them makes a world of difference. Some recipes produce work that tastes great, but isn’t healthy; other times it’s loaded with nutrition but lacks anything resembling flavor. This presents a challenge. We need to assemble ingredients that end up tasting great and benefiting the consumer. Not always an easy task.

-----

For more thoughts on ingredients and their relation to media consumption, read A Recipe for Film Consumption. You'll find an exercise at the end with a downloadable TV commercial (one of my all-time faves).

4 comments:

Robbie Pruitt December 17, 2011 at 7:02 PM  

I like the Sound Cloud Sam! Great hearing your voice! Hope you are well my friend!

Karyn @ DFC December 18, 2011 at 9:39 AM  

That, my friend, is awesome! I think all your posts should be done this way.

Sheila December 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

I am remembering a pastor (a very famous author-pastor, who led the Great Big Church we used to attend) making a reference to brownie ingredients and mentioning yeast.

It was hard not to snort.

Love this way of thinking about things, Sam.

And I'm glad you could properly name two cookie ingredients.

And I was pleased to hear your voice. It was different from what I'd been hearing in my mind, but I couldn't tell you how.

Unknown December 19, 2011 at 8:58 AM  

Robbie and Karyn: Thanks! Not sure how I'll do the posts geared toward images or commercials, but I'll keep playing with this.

Sheila: Different, eh? I think it's a universal fact that our own - recorded - voices are different from what we hear in our minds.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP