Book Publicity as a Cultural Act

Image by Mikko Saari.
I needed a Stephanie Smith about seven years ago, before I gave up on publicity and a book I felt compelled to share with the world. It is what it is now, but I'm encouraged to know that service is her focus in a world of too many self-serving, megaphone-toting, insecurity-driven authors. I am happy to share her marketing view with you this morning at TheHighCalling.org:
"In between the dozens of drafts and the time their magnum opus hits the printer, some authors get cold feet. They feel it’s still an important book, but suddenly, to spread the word about it through a publicity campaign would be disingenuous. Suddenly, it’s not God’s message, but 'self-promotion.' They feel more comfortable in the high art of the writing process, and want to leave the 'dirty work' of promotion to me.
I count it my professional privilege to debunk this illusion. I understand that when you’ve poured so much of yourself into a work, it becomes harder to discern the lines between yourself and your art, and easier to equate book promotion with self-promotion. But these don’t have to be one and the same. What often makes the difference is our motives: Are we serving ourselves, or are we serving an idea that we believe will influence lives for the better?"
READ MORE about Stephanie's philosophy in Everything Matters: Book Publicity as a Cultural Act.

TheHighCalling.org is a site about faith, work, and God.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  July 2, 2012 at 6:19 AM  

Thanks, Sam, and timely. Heading there now.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP